Monday, May 11, 2015

Day 6 – By Vicki


Pete From Source 1 in Hudson, FL
Is Bound And Determined To Get This Boat in Shape
Awesome Guy! 
We obviously were not prepared for this trip.  We are having mechanical issues, navigational issues, and now we are stuck without power at the crappiest marina (in my opinion) that Florida has to offer.     

The day started out promising.   Against all odds, we got a mechanic to fix our boat on Sunday, Mother’s Day.  Pete from Source 1 in Hudson came out and finished working on the boat.  It ran perfectly all the way to Tarpon Springs.   We settled the additional $1,000 in repair bills and were on our way.

Pete said there are some other parts that should be changed out, but he's hoping we can make it to our destination in St Pete and get those repairs done on the return trip.



Notice how the Marine GPS tries to direct you out of the
Channel and into the shallow water.                                  
We had some initial confusion following the marine GPS.  It shows the depth, direction, and general hazards, but it’s up to you to follow the channel markers.  It will take you directly through the sea grass, rocks, and land if you let it.  Luckily we figured this out rather quickly and only scraped a sandbar. 

We made an after hours reservation at Port Tarpon Marina in Tarpon Springs.  The lady told us that we could just dock up at the pumps and use the house power.   When we arrived, we discovered that they had no power.  Not even their sign lights up.  We figured we’d rough it and just camp out. 

I know I said the shower at the last marina was dirty, but I shouldn’t have.  Apparently I didn’t know what dirty was.  To cool down, I took an even dirtier shower, which was located in one of the (in my opinion) dirtiest bathrooms I’ve seen in my life- the shower at Port Tarpon Marina in Tarpon Springs.  I would have never stepped foot in there, but I was so hot.
Port Tarpon Marina in Tarpon Springs, Florida.  It is my opinion
that you should avoid this marina at all costs.                               

Just when I thought it couldn’t get much worse, Aaron remembered that the bilge pump requires power to run.  We could sink without power!! 

After a hot, sleepless, long night paranoid that we would sink, I’m waiting for the sun to rise.  Did I mention the rooster?  Somebody here has a rooster.  Starting around 5:30 am was Cock-A-Doo-Dal-Doo!  Aaron is finally snoring so I’m going to wait atop and watch the sunrise. 

At least Krammy The Cat is taking this all in stride.  She’s even trying to venture outside.  We might need to pick her up a life jacket. 

Beautiful Sunrise in Tarpon Springs, Florida
 

1 comment:

  1. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR IN THE HOOD !! OR MAYBE JUST AROUND THE CONER FROM THE FARM A ROOSTER HAA.. I BET YOU MET LOT WILD PEOPLE WHILE OUT BOATING .. JUST TALK WITH A SLANG AND WALK WITH A SWAG .. SAY YOU FROM AROUND HERE TOSS UP SOME GANG SINE AND RUN .. TIME TO UNTIE LOAD UP AND GET OUT OF DODGE

    ReplyDelete