Thursday, May 7, 2015

Day 3- By Vicki

The Cat is Chilling
Day three on the boat and we are all settled in.  Even the cat is happy.   Although we have not reached our destination, so far it's been fun.  I learned that the fly bridge is a great place to sit and chill on the boat.  You can see everything from up there and it has just the perfect combination of sun and shade.  The Get Hooked Tiki Bar had a live band tonight and was playing some nice island music.  I could hear it from the boat. 

I must say though, I'm glad I brought my shower shoes.  The marina has a private shower, but it's not the cleanest.  Aaron said he might try taking a Navy Shower in the boat tomorrow.  Not me.   I can't wait to get to the Vinoy and take showers in the Spa.  Plus, I'm dying to do some yoga in their gym.  The space on this boat isn't exactly optimal for exercise.  We are at least taking long walks every night.  I'm also glad I brought Windex.  I learned that it's excellent for killing wasps- well sort of.  I don't know where these wasps are coming from, but I killed six of them today.  There must be a nest somewhere on our boat, but I can't find it. I doused them with Windex and them squished them with my shower shoes. 



Aaron On Wasp Duty
We got some good news and some bad news today.  The good news is that the mechanic thinks he can fix the boat tomorrow afternoon.  We were extremely lucky that he found the parts since they are discontinued.  He was able to locate them at an aftermarket place.  The bad news is that we need new exhaust risers and the parts alone cost over $1000.00.   On average, in saltwater use, good risers last about 4-5 years.  That might not even fix the problem, but he is the second mechanic to recommend risers  We might need manifolds also.  Even that might not fix the problem. We just don't know for sure. All the cheaper parts, hoses, pumps, and other minor things, have already been changed.  Only the expensive stuff is left.  We gave him the go ahead to do the work.  Hopefully soon we will be on our way.  It's been an expensive detour.  Besides the work on the boat, we are also spending $50 for every night we are docked here. Maybe we should look into getting a sailboat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment