Monday, May 18, 2015

Day 14 - By Vicki

AM UPDATE

Looks like it will be a nice night on the boat, no east winds and no rain. We are not overheating, not stranded at sea, not sinking, and we have air conditioning. Today is a very good day!! North winds around 10 knots becoming southeast 5 to 10 knots after midnight. Seas 2 feet or less. Bay and inland waters a light chop.

Over the past two weeks a lot has gone wrong.  We have been getting a lot of support and are very thankful for that.  Every night I call my parents and give them an update.   Friends drive to the boat to help out.  Strangers have helped, asking nothing in return.  Mechanics have worked at night and on weekends for us.  There is a Facebook Group called “Live Aboard Boats” which is a group of people around the world who live on their boats.  They have provided me so much advice, support, and direction. 
I can think of only one boating adventure more exciting than mine and they made a movie out of it-  Cape Fear.  Have you ever watched Naked and Afraid?  Lucky for me, I have watched every episode, so if I had to I would know how to do everything naked with only a dull knife and some flint.  I think they should make a new reality show called Naked And Boating.  Yesterday was a pretty rough day, and Aaron wanted to tap out.  I just feel that we have been through too much to give up now.
I'm glad we are doing the blog.  It was my dad's idea.  I though it would be filled with beautiful sunsets and pictures of us doing amazing things in the city.  That's not what this blog is about though.  Regardless, the blog is therapeutic, like couples therapy.  We do our posts every night and get to know exactly what the other is thinking.  It's been quite a trip!

PM UPDATE
I went to the pool this afternoon and  swam twenty laps because I needed to burn off some energy, get a little sun, and relax.  When I went to change into my swimsuit, I found a very expensive ring by one of the sinks.  It was a very large sapphire surrounded by diamonds on a gold wrap around base.   I thought to myself some woman will be broken hearted when she finds out she lost this and immediately turned it into security.  I truly hope it finds it's way back to it's rightful finger.  I believe it was somebody's wedding ring.  I do hope this brings us at least a little bit of good Karma. 

We didn't have wifi the first couple of days we docked in St Pete.  Everyone, including the Dockmaster, thought it was broken.  Apparently the hotel has spent over $10,000 so far trying to make wifi work at the marina.  We are pretty computer savvy were determined to figure out how to get some internet.  Today I  made simple step by step directions, with screenshots, explaining to the Dockmaster how to get onto the marina's wifi.  I don't think he believed it would work.  He later thanked Aaron for what I had done.  I'm trying to pay it forward as much as I can, I've always believed in paying it forward, but this trip has made me pay even more attention to anyone who needs a helping hand.  We sure have had a lot of people help us out in the past two weeks.  I don't know what we would have done without all the kindness from friends and many strangers.

Tonight, after it cooled down some, Aaron and I went for a walk around town.  Besides the bars, everything was closed,  but I liked the peacefulness of the night.  This is really a beautiful area, and such a safe, walkable city.

Sculpture outside of the Chihuly Collection at the Morean Arts


The boat has been calm today, day and night.   I'm enjoying the gentle sway.  It looks like this weather pattern will continue for at least the next few days. 

Peaceful Night For The Boat- Beautiful View Of The City


 

7 comments:

  1. THE FIRST TOO WEEKS ARE A DEWZEY THEY SAY AFATER THAT IT ONLY GETS BETTER AS YOU GO ... CAPE FEAR GOOD BOATING MOVIE .. YOU KNOW BACK IN THE 19 0 98S .. I WORK FOR A YEAR AT ARCO 30 DAYS ON 30 DAYS OFF ON THE BARGES AS A DECKHAND OVER IN LOCKPORT JUST AFTER I BOUGHT MY HOUSE IN 97 IN JOLIET .. BUDDY OF MINE TALK ME INTO IT SO I GAVE IT A SHOT .. TUG BOATS PUSHED BARGES UP DOWN THE IL. AND MISSIPPI RIVER AND UP ALONG THE I-M CANAL THREW CHICAGO .. BACK THEN I WAS YOUNG AND NEEDED THE WORK THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE IT ..IT WAS FUN BUT AFTER AWHILE IT GOT TO BE HARD NOT HOME FOR 30 DAYS ETC.. ANYHOW JUST THOUGHT I WOULD TELL YOU .. DONT MATTER IF YOU BUY A MILLION DOLLAR BOAT OR TRUCK OR A BRAND NEW HOUSE EVERYTHING NEEDS SOMETHING DOWN OR FIXED .. WHEN THAT CASH FOR CLUNKERS CAME OUT AND ABOUT AND THE RECALLS ON NEW CARS TRUCKS ETC.. PEOPLE WOULD SAY ANYTHING THEY BOUGHT WAS JUNK .. ETC WELL EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE A RECALL NOT ONLY CARS AND TRUCKS BUT BABBY STROLLERS TO THE FOOD PEOPLE EAT .. RECALLS .. THEY SAY THE OLD DAYS THINGS WERE BUILT MORE BETTER AND SOILD AND MATIRELS WERE MADE MORE STRONGER .. THING I LIKE SEEING ABOUT YOU IS YOUR NEVER SAY DIE AUTTIUDE !! WHO WOULD EVERY THOUGHT MY NEPHIES VICKIE WAS SUCH A FIGHTER LIKE HER UNCLE RAYMOND .. KEEP UP KEEPING ON YOUR A TUFF GIRL .. I'M SHOCK TO SEE YOU FIGHTING SIDE OF YOU .. WELL TIME FOR ME TO GET MY LUNCH READY UNDER THE BRIDGE TODAY ITS FROG LEGS AND HUSH PUPPYS .. FOR ME YUMMY .. KEEP ON FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT ..AND NO RIGHT UPPER HOOKS .. SOUTH PAUL CAN CATCH YOU OFF GURAD .. THEY SAY LOL.. TUFFY !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Raymond, I didn't know you worked on boats. You know I think you are right that they made things to last back in the day. A lot of things that went wrong were basic maintenance things that should have been done, but the idiot mechanic in Hernando Beach didn't think were important. We went to a boat show in Sarasota a few months ago and went into a lot of brand new boats, many were Sea Rays just like ours, but brand new. The cheapest Sea Ray was $300,000 I think it was just a little bigger than ours, maybe a 35 foot? Ours actually had more cabin space because the new boats are built with huge outside decks. They also have huge useless kitchens (as I've learned you can't really cook spaghetti on a boat). I think the layout of ours just makes a lot more sense. Aaron had a guy yesterday tell him that this boat was very well made and that they don't build boats to last like this anymore. We keep saying it can't get any worse.... I'm not going to say that anymore, but just roll with the punches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DONT THINK THERE MUCH ANYTHING I HAVENT DONE FROM A-Z BACK IN THE DAYS MOTORCYCLES TO HOUSES ROOFING SIDEING GUTTERS YOU NAME IT JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF NONE.. LOL I EVEN WAS A MAKE DANCER ON WEEKENS DANCEING FOR THE COUGARS DOWNTOWN RUSH STREET BACK IN THE 19-0-85S NOT !!!!! HAA .. ANYHOWS EVERYTHING SEEMS TO COST NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO EVERYTHING SO MUCH THESE DAYS .. GAS PRICE LUCKY WENT DOWN IT USE TO BE LIKE 395 A GAL UP TO 4-5 AT ONE TIME GOOD THING ITS NOT LIKE THAT NOW UP THAT BROKE THE ECOMY ETC.. IN EVER THING ONE DO'ES THESE DAYS THERE BLESSED TO BEABLE TO GET OUT THERE AND DO THEM THINGS IT TAKES A LOT TO DO IT ... LIFES CHALLANGES KEEP ON KEEPING ON THERE WILL THERES AWAY UNCLE RAYMOND ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been reading your blog everyda, great idea. I like that you each contribute your own perspective. What kind of Martini tonight?
    Glad you're not giving up. ~ Louise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny I was worried I won't hear from you for a month. Thought Aaron and you would be so busy having fun you won't call us much. Dad and I have both been a little worried with everything you both have been thur in the last two weeks. Yet we know you are a strong couple and will make it thur this ordeal. We do appreciate your phone call keeping us updated how you are doing. Dad says NO TAPPING OUT:) We Love You:) Have a nice night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures, Vicki. Nice thing you did, turning in the ring. Here's wishing you both calm wind and waves, beautiful days, new & interesting sights and an end to your misfortunes !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only hope the lady who had lost that ring realizes how lucky she was that you found it and had the heart to return it. From the description of the ring I am sure she must have been feeling sick when she realized she had lost her ring. That was really very sweet of you:) Hope you are enjoying your day.

    ReplyDelete