Sunday, April 5, 2015

Then Came Sheila (By Vicki)

Follow Our Journey at 30Days.US

I was quite happy with our little boat, but my husband always wanted bigger and better.  We tossed the idea of upgrading around for years.  The SS Minnow had everything we needed for a nice day on the water.   None of the boats we looked at justified the added expenses in dock fees, gas, insurance, and other B.O.A.T (Break Out Another Thousand) Fees.   Except for Sheila.  Sheila was different.  I told my husband, Aaron, if he wanted to upgrade, he could buy The Sheila.  We both laughed.  Sheila was out of our league.

Our marina has a Tiki Bar that overlooks both the water and the dry docks.  We've spent many Saturday afternoons at that Tiki Bar watching the boaters come and go.   Our friends, trying to help out Aaron, would say, "What about a boat like that?  You could get a boat like that".   My answer was always, "Nope.  If we are going to upgrade, it's going to be to The Sheila".  Sheila was the prettiest boat in our marina.  Our friends laughed.  Sheila was out of our league.

Then one day, my husband came home from work and informed me he had bought a big boat.  I was less than excited.   I reminded him of my love for commercial cruising and how Carnival was doing a fine job satisfying my need for longer adventures.  Then he showed me this picture on his phone.

Aaron With The Sheila
It was The Sheila!  Aaron bought The Sheila!   She had been sitting in dry dock for years, and her owner, now in his 80's, decided it was time to let her go.  He couldn't have sold her to anyone that would love her more.

No comments:

Post a Comment